7/31/09

Ethnic? Where?


Sometime back I got an email from Charlotte Russe, the clothing store, about their new 'Ethnic Wear Collection'. So I was thinking, 'What could these people possibly mean by ETHNIC WEAR'. So i satiated my curiosity. Oh and i wasn't pleasantly surprised. There were models wearing clothes made from fabrics that looked quite similar to the Vlisco Wax Hollandais fabric typically worn in Western and Southern Africa. Other models were in 'tie and dye' clothing. 'Ohhh, Okay! So THAT'S what the Captain Genius who named the collection was thinking about', I thought to myself.

Why do people label anything even remotely associated with Africa as 'ethnic'. It annoys me almost as much as when people tell me, 'Oh, you have an ACCENT'. 'I have an ACCENT? So do you, Smart Alec'. They obviously don't mean to be rude, but damn, its a tad ignorant, don't you think. Here's the dictionary definition of the word 'ethnic':

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

2. Being a member of a particular ethnic group, especially belonging to a national group by heritage or culture but residing outside its national boundaries.

3. Relating to a people not Christian or Jewish.

*I hope i didn't miss anything. 

So I still don't get why those clothes were called 'ethnic'. How does that even remotely make any sense? Maybe Smart Alec was only trying to get my attention (Let's hope so). Well, he/she sure did. I bought some 'ethnic wear' for myself two weeks ago for $7.00. They were on the sales rack, and they reminded me of my grandmother's favorite cloth, so i couldn't resist. I rocked it quite well at the beach actually...Me, at the beach in my 'baby doll ethnic' top or dress, only God knows and my sun glasses...oh i felt so damn ETHNIC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment