Akorfa sat bundled up by the window. It was pouring outside. She couldn't stop the tears from pouring, no matter how fast she blinked. She felt cold, and the blanket she had wrapped around her shoulders offered no warmth or comfort. How did she get here? In this dark corner. She looked out at the storm outside and let out a piercing, sorrowful scream that surely woke at least one dead person from his eternal sleep. Stormy weather.. Yup, that was her life. 8 years! 8 long years, she had spent with him. Agreed, a quarter of the time, they spent breaking up and making up. And then he just casually strolled in one day with some feigned sadness and said, 'Boo, I have something to tell you. Don't get mad. I think I've found someone else.'
The sky looks pissed
The wind talks back
My bones are shifting in my skin
And you, my love, are gone
'Huh?!' That's all she could say. She just stared at him. Ok, for one thing, 'Boo' and 'I've found someone else' should not even be in the same sentence, but that aside, ...... 'WHAT?!!!' Akorfa blinked. The fool repeated himself. 'Babes, don't be mad. I've found someone else.' 'Ah, are you on expired weed or what? What do you mean you've found someone else? WDH!! Wait.. What?'.. She could not help the tears that came running down her cheeks. 'I see you are not in the mood to talk reasonably right now. I'll give you some time to digest the information.' He declared, and walked slowly out of her house. It cut like a knife. Why and when did he even start looking, and why didn't she get a memo, or a note, a text message, whatever, saying 'Hey boo, I'm looking. You might want to do likewise'. Then maybe she wouldn't be caught off-guard. Akorfa blinked. She was having flashbacks of last night. How was she supposed to function? She stared out at the storm outside and pulled the blanket tighter. Why did it feel like her walls were closing in on her? She let out another pained scream.
My room feels wrong
My bed won't fit
I cannot seem to operate
And you, my love, are gone
Oh she hated him! How she hated him! What an ass!! Seriously, was he for real? Damn! The guy had cheated her! Well, that was her opinion. Oh, but she still loved him. (Humph, now who was the ass?) 8 years! 8 flipping years!! Well 8 years, and he had found someone else. Out of nowhere, there was now a Madam Newly found. She wondered when exactly he achieved that feat. Considering the fact that he didn't act like someone was looking anywhere other than her doorstep. Okay, maybe he had started acting a little weird since that party three weeks ago. Hmmmmm.... She sighed. She had to move on this time. She had to let go. Oh gosh, how would she let go?
I'll never say
That i'll never love
Oh, but I don't say a lot of things
And you, my love, are gone
Akorfa pulled the blanket tighter. That didn't help. She was still shivering. Plus she needed more tissue for her eyes and nose, but she couldn't be bothered to find another pack. She didn't have the strength to do anything. She didn't have the strength to move ... she didn't have the strength to move ... on. She had to pick up the pieces somehow, and start all over. Hmmm.... empty promises! empty promises!! 8 years! 8years, man!!! She didn't know how to be in anything other than 'in a relationship'. Once in awhile, she would find her self in an 'It's complicated', but that was only when they were having their moments - the break-up/ make-up - moments. She was sad, just plain sad. She couldn't even think of any big complicated words to describe her feeling right now, just plain old SAD. The storm was subsiding. She thought with a glimmer of hope ... What if he comes back?
So glide away on soapy heels
And promise not to promise anymore
And if you come around again
Then I will take, Then I will take
The chain from off the door
*** Ok, lovers, i knew i said i was gonna do 'diamonds on the soles of her shoes'. Will get on that soon. Hope you enjoyed this one. Toodles!
Inspiration:
'The Chain' by Ingrid Michaelson. I love her. She's amazing.
I tried to find the proper song on youtube, but couldn't. I guess she isn't that popular. I found something that sounds like a recording of a live performance though. The Chain It sounds way better on my itunes though. LOL. I could send it to anyone who really wants it, just email me.

hmm the dilemma of long term relationships that dissolve.. interesting piece Shels.. very interesting. is it me or more more of life's issues seem to revolve around relationships..
ReplyDeletechale it is not you Abena..these days all i ever hear...either relationships or people thinking about what they are going to with their lives, career-wise. But yeah, more of the heartaches have to do with death or relationships. its a shame.
ReplyDeleteWhat's the saying, that's the way love goes? Another thought provoking write-up, never heard the song before but I'll try your link.
ReplyDelete@Abena, you're right. Most issues revolve around relationships.
hmm..av heard dat saying.. chale, as for love paa dieh, i'll pass... i'll be single. abha!
ReplyDeleteThis is kinda sad...I really feel for her...eight years is NOT BEANS!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat writing..be back to read more.
ReplyDeleteI can show Akorfa where to do some juju so he becomes dys-functional for real! Hehehe.... I'm just kidding. But I've seen such utter nonsense before. Its not cool, mehn!
ReplyDelete@ Harry - I know chale, 8 years. but she too, didn't he show any signs of his yawa lifestyle.. she shda cut him off long time.
ReplyDelete@ blogoratti - Thank u
@ Kwegyirba - Lol, i kno eh.. she shd show him where power lies. lmao.
I've seen something similar. She even paid his fees in school and stuff, then after he graduated, he went to marry someone else. As for her, i dun think God would have bore if she had gone to the juju, cos the guy din force kraa... Come to think of it, i've heard chao stories like dat... hmmm.. e go be.
Funny how she still has hope her relationship. You can never understand people's relationships chale. Just sit back and enjoy the show...romantic comedies, romance, blue film, drama, thriller, suspense...relationships are too interesting and convoluted.
ReplyDeleteI like it Shirley
heh, u fool o... do u really watch d 'blue film' part of the relationships? isnt dat one 'away from the public eye'. If anything at all, maybe soft blue film. lol. u, u're not alright o.
ReplyDeleteei and CONVO-waaaaat? sheeeeeee..... Bugs on show!! This exam dieh if u dun blow i'll call you King Nebukhadnezza!!
shelz..dis one de3 i roll with u paaa on that 'as for love paa dieh.. i'll pass and be single.. and SIMPLE!' lol ei 8 yrs just like dat.. akoa wei oye aboa first class!!!! lol
ReplyDeletehahaha...the simple life = no pimples, jus dimples, i tell ya. hahaha.
ReplyDelete