8/12/09

It's The Thought That Counts

How many times have we heard the phrase "It's the thought that counts". For awhile i have been wondering if it is really 'the thought' that counts. Shouldn't we be saying something like 'I appreciate the thought' or 'That was a nice thought'? People try to do the right thing, or try to do nice things to other people. They obviously have good intentions and the end result is supposed to be worth the effort. However, when that backfires, how can we honestly say that it is the 'thought' that counts? Shouldn't it be the 'end result' that counts? Let's look at a few hypothetical situations.

- You wake up in the morning feeling like "I got a feeling..that tonight's gonna be a good night, that tonight's gonna be a good good night...". You plan on praying, having some one on one time with the G.O.D, but something comes up and you don't. Is it really the thought that counts? (Luckily God is just a merciful God. It doesn't change the fact that prayer is important though). If your day .. and night doesn't go as planned, will go back and say "Oh, i planned on praying and then something came up." Don't you usually go like "Shoot, i should have prayed this morning"?

- Its your friends birthday. You want her to love your gift. You buy her an I-Phone. She receives the gift. She hates it  (You see, she is into Blackberries) .. or her boyfriend also got her an I-Phone. Obviously she'll keep the I-Phone her boyfriend gave her, who knows what she's gonna do with yours. Its the 'thought' the 'counts' right? 

- This is going to raise a few eye-brows but whatever, I am making a point. You have this girlfriend, wife, cuddy buddy, whatever... you plan on giving her the best head ever. In fact she expects the best head ever. Now, one would think that would be a 'sure banker' way to an orgasm for her. You fail miserably. She doesn't even come close to cuming. She is cranky for the rest of the week.....but ofcourse its the thought that counts, right?

- You see an old lady about to cross the street. You also so a bus coming at her at full speed, ok. You try to shout, to alert her, forgetting you have a bad sore throat and have lost your voice. Obviously, you try to scream, but that just doesn't happen. Home girl down! Yes you will go home thinking it was the thought that counts? On her way to heaven or hell, she will be thinking it will be giving credit to your thoughts?

- You have an interview at 2 p.m. For some reason you will not be able to make it. You plan on calling to reschedule. You forget. In this recession! Yes, go and tell them that its the thought that counts.

Ok, i'm tired of typing out examples. As i was saying, I am not quite sure about the expression "It is the thought that counts". Sometimes we must give others credit for attempting to do something, whether it actually turned out well or not, whether that was what you expected or not. Where do we draw the line though. Why do we always try to give credit where credit is not due. I understand that some people have genuinely good intentions. They simply can't deliver. We must appreciate them still, because they were nice enough to even make the attempt. However should we say 'It's the thought that counts'? I guess when people say that, they are really just showing appreciation (and you do deserve that) ... but I personally think its the end product that makes all the difference. I appreciate the thought, ofcourse, and i love you for it..... it counts for something, my friendship.. but does it count for my trust.. if i was dying would i call you? ..when i know they most often than not, backfire? your thoughts would kill me!

Just something to think about..

No comments:

Post a Comment